[Users] configuring IMAP over SSH tunnel

Michael Rasmussen mir at miras.org
Thu Jun 5 11:06:12 CEST 2014

On Thu, 5 Jun 2014 10:41:50 +0200
Davide Mancusi <arekfu at yahoo.it> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My IMAP server cannot be reached from the Internet, but I can ssh into
> a front-end machine and reach it from there. Claws Mail claims to
> support IMAP over SSH tunnel, and I noticed that the account
> configuration window has a "Use command to communicate with server"
> option. However, I could not find any documentation about how I should
> set up the connection. Can anyone please give me some guidance? What
> command should I use?

You could make a reverse SSH tunnel from your computer to the server
and then instruct claws to use this port when connecting to your mail
server.

http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2013/11/reverse-ssh-tunnel/

--
Hilsen/Regards
Michael Rasmussen

Get my public GnuPG keys:
michael <at> rasmussen <dot> cc
mir <at> datanom <dot> net
mir <at> miras <dot> org
/usr/games/fortune -es says:
Using words to describe magic is like using a screwdriver to cut roast
beef. -- Tom Robbins