[Users] how to delete messages on server with IMAP?

testing at x84.org testing at x84.org
Sun Jan 26 21:30:43 CET 2014

rant/ Thanks for the help, but I don't want to have to do it manually
every time I have new messages.  It just seems like something that an
e-mail client would support.  It's like, IMAP is supposed to be better
than POP, and in some ways it is, but then, in some ways, it is more
limited apparently.  It's like, what if a person has a storage quota on
their server?  What if they have filters sending messages to 50 different
folders... they would have to manually copy and delete messages in each of
those 50 folders in order to compact their folders on the server?  I would
think that Claws should allow me to import my folder structure from my
mail server, and at the same time also allow me not keep messages on the
server, but apparently I can't have both, I have to pick one or the other,
because apparently CLAWS can't replicate the folder structure using POP,
and CLAWS can only automatically delete messages server-side using POP.
Oy!  So I've got to get on the server, and manually move messages from
each of 50 different folders into my inbox in order to get them to
download into CLAWS, if I want to use POP.  both Claws and Sylpheed seem
the same in this respect.  I dunno, these might be great clients, but if
they can't import my folder structure from the server and still allow me
to use POP at the same time (I can't switch the account settings from IMAP
to POP) then I think I need to look for a different client.  I mean, back
in the day running Eudora on a 680xx processor you could change the
account settings as needed, but now it's 2014 and suddenly I can't change
the account settings once they are set.  Maybe if I get on a file sharing
torrent site I can find some illegal crack that will let me unlock Claws
and change my account setting from POP to IMAP.  I guess it was
technically convenient to make it that way.  Too bad the convenience of
the user isn't a design consideration?  /rant