[Users] how to delete messages on server with IMAP?

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sun Jan 26 20:39:13 CET 2014

On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 11:17:43 -0800
testing at x84.org wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I figured out that the folders in my mailbox on the server do not
> replicate locally in the claws client unless I use IMAP.  So this is
> nice because it means I have my folders copied to my local claws
> client.
>
> but what I want to do is I want to keep all my mail in my local claws
> client, I want to delete it from the server.  How can I tell Claws to
> do this?  It does not let me change the protocol of the account
> settings from IMAP to POP3.
>
> Thanks,
> -Elliot

If you *really* want to do keep all your stuff locally and delete it
on IMAP, then, after copying an IMAP folder to a local folder, you could
do the deletion via IMAP commands, using openssl if your IMAP
connection is ssl, or via telnet if it isn't.

To find out the exact way to do this, start reading here:

http://www.troubleshooters.com/emailtech/imap_troubleshooting.htm#checking_domain_or_ip_address_and_port

HTH,

SteveT