[Users] Need help, moving from kmail-1.13.5 to claws-mail

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Feb 23 04:05:35 CET 2014

Greetings everybody;

Thinking that since both kmail-1.13.5 and claws-mail keep their email
corpus in $HOME/user/Mail, I spent a fews hour copying the kmail email
corpus over to $HOME/gene/Mail on a new drive, quite some time back, so its
out of date now.

But I had to reboot to Ubu-12.04.4 LTS this evening so I thought  I'd try
one more time.  Claws-mail does see the directory structure, but nothing
else in that structure.  So I blew it away since it was stale anyway.

When booted to the 12.04.4 LTS install, its no problem to mount the drive
I'm running from right now at someplace handy like media/ubu10.4.4 and
restart the copy process.

Or,

First question, should I try to setup the filters (there are about 50 of
them) to steer the imported mails to the proper claws-mail folder, and then
import the kmail corpus one maildir directory (some are yet mailfiles too)
at a time?

2nd question.  Claws-mail I have been told has no dbus port.  I normally
scan my 3 online accounts with fetchmail, using mailfilter for spam control
as a preconnect in fetchmail, what gets past that gets handed off to
procmail, which in turn scans for viri with clam, runs it by spamd, and
puts what survives in /var/spool/mail/$user, usually me.  A session of
inotifywatch being run by a looping script then arranges to send kmail a go
get the mail commend over the dbus everytime a $user file is closed in
/var/spool/mail.  This has been working extremely well for several years
and linux installs, but claws-mail will need to be notified by some other
means to go get and sort the mail.

How would one go about doing that from this looping script since claws-mail
doesn't have a dbus port?

Thanks for any hints.  I'd like to get changed over to 12.04.4 LTS, I note
youtube videos and news site videos play many times smoother than on
Ubu-10.04.4 LTS.  And on Ubu 12.04.4 LTS kmail takes a dump and exits
instantly, so that puppy isn't even compatible with itself.  Its too darned
bloated anyway.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

NOTICE: Will pay 100 USD for an HP-4815A defective but
complete probe assembly.