[Users] Pesky Message View that keeps coming back

Chad Wallace cwallace at lodgingcompany.com
Tue Feb 4 03:14:32 CET 2014

On Sun, 02 Feb 2014 16:04:22 +0100
alb348 at gmail.com wrote:

> I open the message simply by pressing the Return key, and as I result
> I always get the Message View at the bottom, despite the fact that I
> had just disabled it in the View > Show or Hide menu.
> With regard with the 'open message when selected' option in the
> Display/Summaries, it was set on Never. I have also tried changing it
> but it makes no difference.

I remember having the same problem when I switched from Thunderbird
many moons ago.  I eventually just gave up--if you can't beat 'em, join
'em.  Now I prefer having it all in one window.  However, I do remember
being annoyed for a while about having to change.

I think the root of the problem is the action defined for the Enter
key vs. double-clicking the mouse.  Usually, hitting Enter does the same
thing as double-clicking, but in Claws hitting Enter opens the message
in the message view (re-opening it if it was hidden) and
double-clicking with the mouse opens it in a new window.

It would make more sense to me if Enter and double-click did the same
thing.  Specifically, both would show the message, either a) in the
message view if it's visible or b) in a new window if the message view
is hidden.

Of course, I'm sure there are others with different opinions on the
matter...

--

C. Chad Wallace, B.Sc.
The Lodging Company