[Users] Privacy issues

RW rwmaillists at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 4 01:14:26 CET 2014

On Mon, 3 Feb 2014 16:15:07 +0100
alb348 at gmail.com wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Feb 2014 10:31:09 +0530
> "Abhay S. Kushwaha" <kushwaha at netsolutionsindia.com> wrote:
>
> > > Do you really think that your employer is going to fire you
> > > because you sent an email from a town where a political meeting
> > > took place.
> >
> > An employer could fire him if he said he was vacationing in Hawaii
> > with his family but was emailing from the New York, the HQ of
> > competition.
> >
> > The wife could kill him if he was supposed to be with a client in
> > New York but the email came from Hawaii, where he last had his
> > escapade that his wife barely forgave him for.
>
> Precisely. Moreover New York could easily be explained away with
> anything, because it is such a big place for which you could find
> hundreds of excuses. But if it is a smaller place, then you may be in
> serious trouble. All these examples are very much real-life cases.

Really? You people lead exciting lives. I practically never behave in
an underhand way. To do this is such a regular basis that it changes
the way you use email must be really tiring

> Regarding the post office analogy: of course you could go to the next
> town, but that entails a considerable inconvenience.

I wasn't suggesting you go to another town, I was just pointing out
that its no worse than a postmark

> You could even
> request a friend in a far away place to remail the letter for you. In
> the computer world you could use Tor, of course.
> But all these extra measures entail a price, in terms of
> inconvenience and efficiency.
> The issue is: how to send an email with your email client, without
> much fuss, in a way that respects your privacy?

When you find yourself in one of these outlandish situations you can
just use webmail, or one one of those mail servers that neglect to add
a submission header.

I think it's interesting that you claim to regard this as really
important, but you wont put yourself to the most minor inconvenience -
even on an occasional ad hoc basis.