[Users] Privacy issues

alb348 at gmail.com alb348 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 16:15:07 CET 2014

On Mon, 3 Feb 2014 10:31:09 +0530
"Abhay S. Kushwaha" <kushwaha at netsolutionsindia.com> wrote:

> > Do you really think that your employer is going to fire you because
> > you sent an email from a town where a political meeting took place.
>
> An employer could fire him if he said he was vacationing in Hawaii
> with his family but was emailing from the New York, the HQ of
> competition.
>
> The wife could kill him if he was supposed to be with a client in New
> York but the email came from Hawaii, where he last had his escapade
> that his wife barely forgave him for.

Precisely. Moreover New York could easily be explained away with anything,
because it is such a big place for which you could find hundreds of excuses.
But if it is a smaller place, then you may be in serious trouble.
All these examples are very much real-life cases.

Regarding the post office analogy: of course you could go to the next
town, but that entails a considerable inconvenience. You could even request
a friend in a far away place to remail the letter for you. In the computer world
 you could use Tor, of course.
But all these extra measures entail a price, in terms of inconvenience and
efficiency.
The issue is: how to send an email with your email client, without much fuss,
in a way that respects your privacy?

VPNs may be a viable option, as some of you suggested. But I was hoping for
some SMTP solution, on the assumption that it would be simpler, but it
seems it has its drawbacks (risking that your email gets classified as spam).