[Users] Send on check mail

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Thu Sep 5 18:33:50 CEST 2013

On Thu, 5 Sep 2013 10:13:15 -0400
Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI <renaud at olgiati-in-paraguay.org> wrote:

> In days now gone, before I upgraded from KMail to Claws (and from KDE
> to XFCE) I remember I had a setting that allowed having the queued
> mail sent at the same time that the server was periodically queried
> to check and download new mail.
>
> This was a boon, specially so in a country where we pay for every
> phone call, and the multiplication of dial-up calls singularly
> increases the phone bill.
>
> I have not found a way to do the same in Claws; is there one ?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ron, on the banks of the Paraguay River.

Hi Ron,

First, congrats on a great move with email and with your desktop
environment.

I don't know a way to specifically send the queue on checking mail, but
if you develop a couple habits you can do the same thing just a little
more manually...

First, when emailing people, click the "send later" button instead of
the "send" button. This puts your newly created emails in the Queue
folder. Now, after you check your mail, highlight the Queue directory,
and from the menu, Message->Send_queued_messages.

The one downside of this is that Claws is single threaded and very
rarely spawns a new process to perform a task like sending mail or
downloading new emails, so Claws will probably become unusable while
sending. Unless...

What I would do to get maximum usage from Claws is to do things in this
order:

1) Get my new email
2) Click the Inbox folder
3) Messages->send_queued_messages
4) Within the Inbox, read your email
5) When the send finishes, read all other folders.

HTH,

SteveT