[Users] On which Linux distro is Claws Mail best supported?

Sharon Kimble boudiccas at talktalk.net
Sat Oct 5 19:20:38 CEST 2013

On Fri, 4 Oct 2013 00:26:52 +0100
"J.D. Ackle" <jdalinux at yahoo.com.br> wrote:

> On Thu, 03 Oct 2013 22:03:48 +0200
> vitsen at gmx.com wrote:
>
> > I am a bit worried, as I have read on some posts that there are
> > significant bugs in Debian (if I remember correctly). So, does this
> > mean that such bugs are also present on Ubuntu, which is based on
> > Debian? Should I avoid all Debian/Ubuntu-based distros?
>
> As nobody else actually adressed this, I will have to frankly say
> that there is a lot of bugs in Debian is a really odd one! Then
> again, it would depend on which specific Debian flavour you are
> running. Here are the three Debian flavours you can run:
>
> Debian Stable: You can safelly say Debian stable has less bugs in it
> than about 99% (or more!) of the other distros in the planet. It is
> actually a sort of common knowledge that Debian Stable is THE most
> stable GNU/Linux distribution out there. It is also often considered
> outdated - that's because very thorough testing is required on the
> software included in Debian Testing, and that takes time... So you'll
> likely not have "the latest and greatest" in Stable. If I'm not
> mistaken, CentOS (an enterprise Linux distro) is based on this Debian
> release.

Sorry, but you're wrong. CentOS is based on 'Red Hat Enterprise Linux'
and using their source rpm's. I used to run CentOS for about three
years, and its good and stable but not ideal for desktops.

> Debian Testing: This is the release that will become the next Debian
> Stable. It takes two years for a Testing release to become the next
> Stable (hence the Stable/Testing cycle is six months longer than
> Ubuntu's LTS (Long Term Support) releases, the most stable Ubuntu
> releases). There is also a several months "freeze" (I don't remember
> how many) at the end of a Testing release where no software is added
> nor upgraded - it's only for bugfixing - the result will be a really
> stable, as bug-free as possible upcoming Stable release. Again, if
> not mistaken, this is the release Ubuntu and its derivatives is based
> on.

I used to run Debian testing in its build-up phase before it was
released as 'stable'. I'm currently running stable again, but may well
upgrade to testing again at some time in the future. I currently track
several packages that I like with git, so I'm running some cutting-edge
programmes, fool that I am! :)

Debian stable is rock-solid and very stable and not likely to break or
cause you problems. I recommend it, plus there is exceptionally good
support via the users mailing list, and online with IRC.

Sharon.
my git repo = https://github.com/boudiccas/dots
Debian stable, Fluxbox 1.3.5, LibreOffice  4.1.0.4
Registered Linux user 561944