[Users] Importing kmails complete mail corpus to claws

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Thu May 23 13:09:37 CEST 2013

On Thursday 23 May 2013 07:06:53 Gene Heskett did opine:

> Greetings all;
>
> I would like to be able to do this so that kmail remains intact and
> usable until I have claws configured close enough to kmail that claws
> can take over with no gaps in the timeline.
>
> Unforch, I suspect that my response to kmails going beyond the 2gigabyte
> barrier for a mailfile was to convert a large part of the corpus to
> maildir, many years ago now.
>
> As I've installed claws, it can see all the directories in the ~/Mail
> tree, but cannot see any of the kmail sorted messages there, just the
> cur, new, and tmp directories.
>
> I took all the defaults when it ran the initial "fill in the blanks"
> script, but those now seem to be fixed forever as I cannot find the menu
> that would let me change those defaults.
>
> I, years ago because of kmails single threaded operation, took the mail
> fetching away from it, and have fetchmail configured to scan the 3
> servers I have access to, which is preceded by a run of mailfilter to
> nuke the worst spammers, then procmail does a scan for viri by clamav,
> and spamd has a look.  What passes that is then dumped to a mailfile in
> /var/spool/mail.
>
> inotifywait watches that /var/spool, and when a file is closed, dies and
> returns that name of the file.  Another script I wrote years ago checks
> that name and takes to appropriate mv action if needed, then restarts
> inotifywait for the next incoming message, sending kmail a "getmail"
> command via dbus, so incoming mail is sorted by kmail and visible in its
> target directory in quite close to real time.  The average lifetime of a
> non-zero length mailfile in /var/spool/mail is probably under a second
> when the file has been closed by procmail.
>
> What I would like to do first is reconfigure claws to use all the kmail
> send options so I can send a message from either mail agent.
>
> How to proceed with that?
>
> Cheers, Gene

One, I forgot to say thanks.

Two, is this not the correct list to ask startup questions on?

Thanks to all who take the time to reply.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
My views
You know, Callahan's is a peaceable bar, but if you ask that dog what his
favorite formatter is, and he says "roff! roff!", well, I'll just have
to...
         law-abiding citizens.