[Users] Importing kmails complete mail corpus to claws

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed May 22 18:48:17 CEST 2013

Greetings all;

I would like to be able to do this so that kmail remains intact and usable
until I have claws configured close enough to kmail that claws can take
over with no gaps in the timeline.

Unforch, I suspect that my response to kmails going beyond the 2gigabyte
barrier for a mailfile was to convert a large part of the corpus to
maildir, many years ago now.

As I've installed claws, it can see all the directories in the ~/Mail tree,
but cannot see any of the kmail sorted messages there, just the cur, new,
and tmp directories.

I took all the defaults when it ran the initial "fill in the blanks"
script, but those now seem to be fixed forever as I cannot find the menu
that would let me change those defaults.

I, years ago because of kmails single threaded operation, took the mail
fetching away from it, and have fetchmail configured to scan the 3 servers
I have access to, which is preceded by a run of mailfilter to nuke the
worst spammers, then procmail does a scan for viri by clamav, and spamd has
a look.  What passes that is then dumped to a mailfile in /var/spool/mail.

inotifywait watches that /var/spool, and when a file is closed, dies and
returns that name of the file.  Another script I wrote years ago checks
that name and takes to appropriate mv action if needed, then restarts
inotifywait for the next incoming message, sending kmail a "getmail"
command via dbus, so incoming mail is sorted by kmail and visible in its
target directory in quite close to real time.  The average lifetime of a
non-zero length mailfile in /var/spool/mail is probably under a second when
the file has been closed by procmail.

What I would like to do first is reconfigure claws to use all the kmail
send options so I can send a message from either mail agent.

How to proceed with that?

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
My views
senility, n.:
	The state of mind of elderly persons with whom one happens to
disagree.
         law-abiding citizens.