[Users] Firefox and Claws Mail

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Wed May 22 22:57:32 CEST 2013

Found an older thread about the same subject in the archives (Feb 2013).

To rehash, Fedora's /usr/bin/firefox shell script overrides $TMPDIR
with either $MOZ_TMPDIR, if set, or else with a hardcoded /var/tmp.
This breaks Claws Mail's prohibit_duplicate_launch() feature.

I wonder, has anyone reported this to Fedora actually?

There has been a bug report for Claws Mail recently:
  https://bugzilla.redhat.com/956380

When I found the culprit, I tracked down when and why the Firefox wrapper
script was changed:  https://bugzilla.redhat.com/867073

Before that, it had hardcoded TMPDIR to /var/tmp, whereas the system
(e.g. GNOME Shell) defaults to /tmp. That would have broken Claws Mail
in the same way.

Overriding TMPDIR like that is insane, IMO.

And because I'm curious, would $HOME/.claws-mail/tmp not be appropriate?

--
Michael Schwendt
Fedora release 19 (Schrödinger’s Cat) - Linux 3.9.3-301.fc19.x86_64