[Users] claws usability with non-warp connections

Leon Fisk lfisk at iserv.net
Sat Jun 15 20:44:58 CEST 2013

On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 20:56:41 +0200
kardan <kardan at riseup.net> wrote:

>Dear wise community and delighted developers,
>
>I am wondering how to improve the usability for claws when working with
>slow (non-dsl) connections.
>
>There once was an option to not process folder actions directly but on
>pressing x ('execute actions'), that was handy as it saved me the
>waiting time on moving messages. I can not find it anymore.

Maybe you are thinking of Processing Rules?

Right-click on the folder and select Properties. You can change how/when
Processing Rules run there. I have a Usenet folder with them disabled
and only run the Processing Rules manually. You can do that by
right-clicking on the folder and choosing the menu item "run processing
rules". Myself, I set up a keyboard shortcut to do that.

>Another issue/feature is the automatic downloading of messages and
>checking all folders. This is nice as I do not have to deal with this
>manually and all imapcache holds the whole mailbox locally (with
>'synchronize recursively' set in the properties dialogue for IMAP
>account in the tree view.
>
>In the moment for example I see the busy cursor, because I clicked
>synchronize folders. The statusbar shows 'message is being
>fetched' (or similar as I use german version). That is fine.
>Unfortunately most features do not work now like opening/closing
>folders in the tree or just switching to them. Is it possible to do
>the syncing in background so that claws keeps being responsive?

I found that I can use the keyboard to switch folders when/during
syncing. I set up a keyboard shortcut for that too. It is under the
menu item View->Go to->Other folder.

>When a folder is clicked for opening claws first updates the tree and
>shows the folder list later. I would love to have it the other way round
>that I see the cached tree first and any updates are done in the
>background with refreshing the view afterwards. Also all checks for
>other folders should wait for this time in my eyes.

Agree, +1

>Same is for the sending dialogue. I disabled it as it blocked me from
>working with claws while a message is sent.

Same here, +1

<snip>

--
Leon