[Users] Spawning Claws-Mail fails, I don't know why

Ian Zimmerman itz at buug.org
Mon Jul 29 07:35:25 CEST 2013

On Wed, 24 Jul 2013 17:38:40 -0400
Steve Litt <slitt at troubleshooters.com> wrote:

Steve> Now that I've switched from Xfce to OpenBox, I need to make much
Steve> more use of my UMENU program.

Since you keep using Thunar (a Xfce program), it would be more accurate
to write "Now that I have configured Xfce to use OpenBox as window
manager instead of its built-in WM, ..."

Steve> After acquiring the user's keystrokes, UMENU spawns the
Steve> user-selected program, and then terminates. UMENU uses the
Steve> Linux-idiomatic way of doing that: Here's the code:

Steve> http://paste.ubuntu.com/5908107/

I have looked at the code, but I don't understand what problem you're
trying to solve there.  It seems the only difference compared to
executing the program directly is that you establish a new session.
That is normally done when starting systemwide daemons, and the main
effect is that they're immune to terminal related conditions such as the
SIGHUP signal.  Why do you think it is useful for a vanilla X client
program?