[Users] I'm whupped by kmail

Michael A. Yetto myetto1 at nycap.rr.com
Fri Jul 12 20:37:43 CEST 2013

On Fri, 12 Jul 2013 14:07:22 -0400
Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:

>Greetings;
>
>kmail has been my preferred mail agent since 14 years ago, but
>I have not been able to make it start on a ubu-12.4.2 install.
>
>So, claws seems the next logical step, I've read lots of good
>"press" about it, and I've wasted 10 days on kmail now.
>
>But, I see claws is mbox format only, an acronym I am told for
>a merged "mailfile".
>
>And it has no facility to import a maildir, which I have about
>40 of. However the original kmail inbox is a mailfile, and
>while it shows 1 unread message in the claws left panel, it
>will not show me the message itself.
>
>This inbox file, in a du -h format report, is 2.1 Gb, and the
>whole ~Mail tree is about 4.5 Gb, but that 2.1Gb inbox means
>its very close to falling over on a 32 bit install, and has
>done so before, forcing me to go thru it by hand nuking the
>obvious spam etc.
>
>This leads to the first question:  What is the maximum mbox
>format file that claws-mail can handle on a 64 bit install?
>
>kmail apparently doesn't have an export function, so:
>
>Is it possible to do something like create a tempdir, and then
>step through the cur dirs, doing a "cat * > temdir/foldername"
>to create the merged files, and then import that into
>claws-mail?
>
>Or is there another such mail merging utility that would do
>that better than a simple cat *?
>
>3 questions, sorry.

If you go to <http://claws-mail.org/tools.php?section=downloads>
you will find several scripts and tools for converting address
books and mail stores from various formats to the MH format used
by Claws.

In particular look for "kmail-mailbox2claws-mail.pl" which will
do the conversion you want. I used this a few years ago and it
needed some tweaking. I don't really remember the reason, but I
did eventually get all of the mail into Claws.

You might want to d/l clawsker as well. This is a GUI that
provides a way to set some hidden options.

--
Mike Yetto