[Users] AVG renders Claws Mail unusable on Windows

Michael Gmelin freebsd at grem.de
Wed Jan 16 18:36:05 CET 2013

On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 11:49:28 -0500
edwardp at linuxmail.org wrote:

> I tried to configure AVG antivirus to use SSL connections to e-mail
> and it has now rendered Claws Mail unusuable.  When it now
> 'launches', it displays connection errors to 127.0.0.1, nothing more
> and I never seen the Claws Mail main screen now.
>
> I went by their SSL instructions on the AVG web page.
>
> This should be be fixed.  It was set to a SSL connection to an IMAP
> server.
>
> Even after a system reboot, Claws continues to do this in what seems
> an infinite loop.  Going to uninstall Claws, but it may not fix the
> problem since the accounts would still be in the settings directory,
> I'm sure.

Open accountrc in a text editor and change "receive_server" to the
correct address (might be multiple entries there if you have multiple
accounts). Look for 127.0.0.1 or localhost as well (using find). That
should fix it.

Alternatively you can open clawsrc and change "work_offline=0" to
"work_offline=1". That way you should be able to start claws and fix
the issue through the UI.

--
Michael Gmelin