[Users] Subject Line Message

Colin Leroy colin at colino.net
Fri Aug 30 10:01:16 CEST 2013

On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 00:38:29 -0700, <cgw993 at aol.com> wrote:

Hi,

> All of the email clients I have tested so far do this so I was
> thinking there might be a oppressive legal requirement that forces
> the developers to do this. You cant find evidence of this on the
> internet search engines because of the heavy censorship of search
> results.   Is this a plausible theory or maybe it really is just
> because no one thought there would be anyone that did not want to use
> a subject line?

It's mostly because putting an informative Subject helps the recipient
sort emails and determine quickly what's important and what's not. It's
part of the "good rules" of internet, and email client developers tend
to like these rules and help people stick to it.

In case of encrypted email, you can either put no subject, vague
subjects, or even have fun with the NSA and tease them ;)

--
Colin