[Users] more line wrapping

Leon Fisk lfisk at iserv.net
Wed Apr 17 21:43:41 CEST 2013

On Wed, 17 Apr 2013 13:54:49 +0200
Neels Hofmeyr <neels at hofmeyr.de> wrote:

<snip>
>Reproduce:
>
>1) Have line wrapping configured at line width = 72, and a paragraph
>like this:

I have/use this same setting.

>One two three four five six seven eight nine ten eleven twelve and
>thirteen fourteen fifteen sixteen..... One two three four five six seven
>eight nine ten.
>
>2) Place cursor near the end of the second line, just after the word
>'six':
>
>[...]..... One two three four five six| seven
>
>3) Add a space -- the situation must be such that adding the space
>triggers wrap.
>

>My result *sometimes* looks like so (cursor pos indicated by |):
>
>One two three four five six seven eight nine ten eleven twelve and
>thirteen fourteen fifteen sixteen..... One two three four five six|
>seven
>eight nine ten.
<snip>

You can't enter this line:

thirteen fourteen fifteen sixteen..... One two three four five six seven

without using a hard return at the end. If you don't and use "space"
and then go on with "eight nine ten..." the line will automatically
wrap between "six" and "seven". Claws must be able to tell the
difference between a hard-return and soft-return (I'm not a developer,
just guessing) and keep the hard-return and your lonely "seven" on its
own line.

I found Claws line wrapping mighty confusing too until I understood its
quirks a bit better. Now I rather like it, allowing me to leave longer
lines if desired with a bit of manipulation and/or re-wrapping if need
be. For re-wrapping long lines I usually pick a space between two words
on the overlong line and delete it. Then add the space back in which
causes the text to re-wrap.

Something else to check is your:

Configuration->Preferences->Compostion->Wrapping->Wrap Pasted Text

setting. I have mine set to wrap but I could see where this setting
could cause some confusion too...

--
Leon
Claws 3.9.0, Ubuntu Karmic-Lucid