[Users] Create filter/proc question.

Paul claws at thewildbeast.co.uk
Sun Apr 7 19:46:15 CEST 2013

On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 11:54:28 -0400
Mark Filipak <markfilipak.linux at gmail.com> wrote:

> > "There is also a quick method of creating filtering rules based on
> > the selected message. After selecting a mail of the type you want
> > to filter, choose "Create filter rule..." from the "Tools" menu"
>
> Not "how", but "why". Why do I have to select (highlight) the MH's
> Inbox before I can create a filter? Why can't I simply select the
> MH?

As the manual says, this 'quick method', (correctly implying that
there is another method that is not so quick), will create filtering
rules based on the selected message. So you have to select a message
because this 'quick method' works on a selected message, so if there
is no message selected nothing can be done, so it is greyed out until
a message is selected.

> After all, it's the MH that does the filtering.

No, the 'MH' doesn't do the filtering.

with regards

Paul

--
It isn't worth a nickel to two guys like you or me,
but to a collector it is worth a fortune