[Users] Move #mh to shared folder.

Holger Berndt berndth at gmx.de
Sun Apr 7 19:42:18 CEST 2013

On So, 07.04.2013 13:10, Mark Filipak wrote:

>> There is a "mailbox", which is basically a storage location. You can
>> have one or multiple of those, and they can be stored on different
>> physical locations.
>>
>> Inside a mailbox, you can have a nested "folder" structure.
>
>"Inbox" is the name of a mailbox, is it not?

No, it's not. Inbox is a folder.

>"Sent" is name of a folder, not a mailbox, correct?

Yes.

>If I create a
>filter that routes mail to "Joe", then Joe is a mailbox named "Joe",
>is that not correct?

"Routing" mail is ambigous, so this question is not precise enough to
be answered. However, I think if you carefully read the explanations
that I gave you so far, the question is probably answered.

>It seems to me that a mailbox is a folder to which Claws automatically
>delivers mail (as opposed to a folder to which the user has manually
>moved messages),

No, see above.

>and that an account is a service that runs on a mail or news server
>on behalf of a mail client and therefore has nothing
>directly to do with Claws other than configuration (username, password,
>credential, authentication, encryption, etc.),

More or less, yes (Claws Mail can also access local mail spools on
unix machines).

>> That's only half the truth (accounts do not only receive...
>-snip-
>
>I was addressing only the mail reception part of the story because it's
>the most complex. Sending mail is a relatively simple task.

The point is that renaming "account" to "mail source" is either half or
completely wrong. An SMTP-only account is clearly not a mail source.
And a POP3 account in Claws Mail contains config for message sending as
well, so calling it a mail source would also be misnaming.

Holger