[Users] Anyone using Claws-Mail on FreeBSD?

Michael Gmelin freebsd at grem.de
Wed Sep 19 18:52:59 CEST 2012

On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 12:41:58 -0400
Steve Litt <slitt at troubleshooters.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 07:06:27 -0400, Jerry said:
> > On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 18:46:22 -0400
> > Steve Litt articulated:
> >
> > > Is anyone using Claws-Mail on FreeBSD? Mine didn't compile, and
> > > before I spend lots of time trying to make it work, I want to see
> > > if anyone else has it working.
> >
> > I am using it right now and have used it for over five years. Could
> > you please post more info on your environment and what errors you
> > are receiving.
> >
> > --
> > Jerry ♔
>
> Thanks Jerry,
>
> Once you and several other people emailed me saying they used Claws in
> FreeBSD, I knew it was possible and worth the time to fix it, so I
> fixed it.
>
> The symptom was the compile errored out saying TLS conflicted with
> SSL. The problem was defective user. Being a Linux guy, I
> automatically had just enough FreeBSD knowledge to make me dangerous.
>
> I had selected TLS from one of those ncurses screens, and forever
> afterward, no combination of make clean, make distclean and make could
> bring back the ncurses screen so I could say I didn't want TLS.
> Finally a guy from my LUG told me about make rmconfig-recursive, and
> BANG, the thing compiled and worked.

Side note:

Those options are stored in /var/db/ports/PORTNAME/options. You can
always remove them to start over (well, that's basically what "make
rmconfig" does). Backing up that directory can be useful to reproduce
your setup at a later point in time.

Also using "make config" in any port's home directory brings up the
configuration screen up for that port again within losing previously
selected options. "make config-recursive" brings up all configuration
screens for a dependencies (useful if you want to do a batch install,
but still be able to tweak various settings).

--
Michael Gmelin