[Users] Anyone using Claws-Mail on FreeBSD?

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Wed Sep 19 18:41:58 CEST 2012

On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 07:06:27 -0400, Jerry said:
> On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 18:46:22 -0400
> Steve Litt articulated:
>
> > Is anyone using Claws-Mail on FreeBSD? Mine didn't compile, and
> > before I spend lots of time trying to make it work, I want to see
> > if anyone else has it working.
>
> I am using it right now and have used it for over five years. Could
> you please post more info on your environment and what errors you are
> receiving.
>
> --
> Jerry ♔

Thanks Jerry,

Once you and several other people emailed me saying they used Claws in
FreeBSD, I knew it was possible and worth the time to fix it, so I
fixed it.

The symptom was the compile errored out saying TLS conflicted with SSL.
The problem was defective user. Being a Linux guy, I automatically had
just enough FreeBSD knowledge to make me dangerous.

I had selected TLS from one of those ncurses screens, and forever
afterward, no combination of make clean, make distclean and make could
bring back the ncurses screen so I could say I didn't want TLS.
Finally a guy from my LUG told me about make rmconfig-recursive, and
BANG, the thing compiled and worked.

As a side note, having nothing to do with Claws-Mail, for me, using
FreeBSD is like one of those weird dreams in which you know you've been
here before, you kinda-sorta know your way around, but things have
changed. And oh-by-the-way, as if FreeBSD weren't enough of a change,
on my FreeBSD machine I'm using the Awesome window manager instead of
my customary Xfce. From my perspective, Awesome is to Xfce as a stick
shift is to an automatic.

By the way, Claws works very nicely in Awesome :-)

If any of you will be anywhere near Central Florida on 9/22/2012, be
sure to stop by the OpenSuSE Summit's LUG reunion:

http://summit.opensuse.org/news/2012/09-11-summit_saturday_is_lug_day/

I'll have both my Ubuntu laptop and my experimental FreeBSD laptop
there and will be fooling around with them. Both Orlando LUGs, the
Jacksonville LUG, and I hope some more LUGs will be there.

Thanks to all of you for all your help.

SteveT

                          *  http://twitter.com/stevelitt