[Users] SSMPT: SSL Handshake problem

Markus Hrywniak markus.hry at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 16:59:35 CEST 2012

Hi everybody,

I am trying to use Claws to send mail through my university adress
(settings here [1]), which works fine with Thunderbird.
With Claws, IMAP also works nicely, but sending always fails with an
SSL Error. The network log does not say much, so I tried capturing the
sending of a test mail in Wireshark.
The result is that for Claws, the SSL Client Hello is sent and the
server promptly returns a fatal error; description in Wireshark is:

"TLSv1 Record Layer: Alert (Level: Fatal, Description: Handshake
Failure)."

Disclaimer: I do not know much about the technical workings of TLS/SSL,
but I can see that in the Thunderbird SSL handshake, it says "Version:
TLS 1.0 (0x0301)", whereas in Claws, it's "Version: SSL 3.0 (0x0300)".
Afterwards, Claws uses TLS 1.2 and Thunderbird only TLS 1.0.

So, my uneducated guess is that the uni mail server does not understand
the handshake and panics, which leads to my question:

* How can I force Claws to do the handshake with TLS 1.0?

I can also provide the Wireshark packet dumps, best way to go
about that (hosting or attaching)?

Best regards,
Markus Hrywniak

[1]