[Users] Build failure on Ubuntu 12.10 for claws-mail-extra-plugins

Ricardo Mones ricardo at mones.org
Wed Oct 3 17:13:59 CEST 2012

On Wed, Oct 03, 2012 at 10:50:50AM -0400, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> Hi Ricardo.
>
> On Oct 03, 2012, at 11:28 AM, Ricardo Mones wrote:
>
> >The solution you propose on the above bug, remove one of the plugins (and
> >its dependencies, of course), is the quickest, sure.
>
> Yep.  I don't use either afaict, so I am not a good judge of which is more
> popular for our users.

  Well, we have popcon at Debian, which may give a rough idea:

http://qa.debian.org/popcon-graph.php?packages=claws-mail-gdata-plugin,+claws-mail-mailmbox-plugin

  But since mailmbox is much older than gdata I don't think that's very
useful.

> >If that dependency is really needed (doesn't seem to be documented in
> >ubuntu's changelog) for the new gdata 0.13, one of the plugins (I'd say
> >gdata, as is the one introducing the problem)
>
> After some additional research, I think you're right that libgdata was the
> last package upload to introduce the conflict.  The 0.13.1-0ubuntu2 upload on
> 2012-07-30 introduced the build dependency on liboauth-dev, and this was
> *after* my last upload of a no-change rebuild of c-m-e-p on 2012-07-20.  So my
> rebuild succeeded, but would have broken after July 30th, and this explains
> why unstable builds fine, because Ubuntu is ahead of Debian on the libgdata
> package.

  Thanks for confirming.

> >could be split from upstream tarball and created as a new source
> >package. That way it could be built separately without conflict. Remains to
> >see if simultaneously loading both plugins built this way causes some
> >trouble. And unfortunately that should be done on every new release.
> >
> >Other alternatives include pushing oauth upstream so it can be built with
> >libcurl's gnutls variant, or pushing libetpan upstream so it can be built
> >with libcurl's nss variant. These paths can take longer, if open, but can be
> >more interesting.
>
> It may also be possible to build a version of libgdata-dev that does not link
> against liboauth-dev, thus breaking the connection to libcurl4-nss-dev.

  That would be excelent.

> I've contacted the Ubuntu developer who did the last upload of libgdata and
> I'll see if we can resolve it at that level.  I appreciate your suggestions
> above, and I'll follow up again when I know more, since Debian may face the
> same problem when libgdata gets the new upstream.

  I assumed the dependency, even if undocumented, was needed for a new
mandatory feature, but it not, much better not to have it.

  regards,
--
  Ricardo Mones
  ~