[Users] Build failure on Ubuntu 12.10 for claws-mail-extra-plugins

Ricardo Mones ricardo at mones.org
Wed Oct 3 17:01:58 CEST 2012

On Wed, Oct 03, 2012 at 03:55:19PM +0200, Holger Berndt wrote:
> Ricardo Mones <ricardo at mones.org> schrieb:
>
> >> Why is gdata any more introducing the problem than mailmbox? Or, in
> >> other words: Could it do anything to solve the issue?
> >
> >True, it's not any plugin fault, just a dependency problem, but since
> >it's
> >a gdata dependency, seems the appropriate candidate for separate build.
> >
> >Separating mailmbox because of a gdata dependency change sounds strange
> >to me, but YMMV, of course
>
> I still don't get the reasoning, but that's probably because I know next
> to nothing about packaging.
>
> We have two plugins, both have dependencies, which in turn also have
> dependencies, which conflict. It'd you separated mailmbox,  it would be
> because of mailmbox dependencies, just like the other way round. I don't
> see how anybody is more the culprit than the other.

  Plugins aren't, already said that, but before we had these dependency
strings:
  · mailmbox plugin → libetpan-dev → libcurl4-gnutls-dev
  · gdata plugin → libgdata-dev

With new version of libgdata we have:
  · mailmbox plugin → libetpan-dev → libcurl4-gnutls-dev
  · gdata plugin → libgdata-dev → liboauth-dev → libcurl4-nss-dev

Which plugin indirectly suffered the change which causes the problem? :)

> Actually,  i t seems strange that mailmbox has a dependency on curl in
> the first place.

  This is because it uses libetpan.

> >Sure, but the purpose of separating source packages is to keep both,
> >not to throw away one in favour of the other.
>
> Okay, I thought the question is what gets installed when the user
> installs the extra-plugins metapackage. Source packages don't really
> matter at all I guess, because a user wanting these knows his way around
> well enough anyways.

  Correct. The metapackage would still install both binary packages, but
they would be generated from two source packages. There's no problem with
that.

> >  Don't understand what are you referring with this or how this relates
> >with the problem, sorry.
>
> If a distribution based on GNOME components has problems building or
> running stuff with a libgdata dependency, this seems like a more general
> problem because that library is used in multiple core desktop components.

  Well, libetpan is probably not widely used in GNOME component, probably
not used at all I'd say. What scares me a bit more is that libgdata, a
library for accessing Google online services, is being so ingrained within
the desktop components. Fortunately Claws Mail does not depend on it.

  regards,
--
  Ricardo Mones
  ~