[Users] Only issue prevent claws-mail to be accepted in corporate

Holger Berndt berndth at gmx.de
Thu Mar 29 22:21:00 CEST 2012

On Di, 27.03.2012 18:34, Jerry wrote:

>> Multi-threading is not a feature, it's an implementation detail. The
>> feature would be not to block the UI when doing potentially long
>> operations - threading is one possible solution, but most likely not
>> even a good one (if it requires direct fiddling with threads in Claws
>> Mail's code base).
>
>If you implement true multi-threading into an application, it is in fact
>a feature of the application.

No, it's not. We're talking about an end-user-application, and the
end-user doesn't care a bit about threads. He cares about non-blocking
UI, operations running in the background, stuff being faster because
it's done in parallel, ... These are features. Application-space threads
are a tool to provide these features, but not the only possibility, and
in fact a rather bad one in this case.

>To so
>so, and do it correctly, would probably require a complete rewrite of
>Claws-Mail

Surely not a complete rewrite, but "true multi-threading" would indeed
be very hard to get right. That's why it's not a suitable tool.

Holger