[Users] Only issue prevent claws-mail to be accepted in corporate

Kertesz Laszlo laszlo.kertesz at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 22:05:18 CEST 2012

On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 10:47:51 +0530
"J. Bakshi" <joydeep at infoservices.in ( জয়দীপ বকসী )> wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 22:21:02 +0300
> Kertesz Laszlo <laszlo.kertesz at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 09:44:26 -0400
> > Dan Arico <dan_arico at aricosystems.com> wrote:

> > > I've been following this thread and I'm puzzled. I don't see these
> > > issues at all. Could it be related to the hardware and OS?
> >
> > Happened to me both on my laptop (core 2 duo @2 GHz) and my desktop (AMD Athlon II x2 @ 3 GHz) with my gmail IMAP account (Debian Whezy).
> > No other mail client (Tried Thunderbird, Seamonkey, Opera Mail, Zimbra desktop) does this so its clearly a CM only problem.
> > On my laptop happened most times when it had intermittent network connection when checking for mail (i work in IT support, i do connectivity checks often and CM running in the background dont seem to like it).
> >
> > And i had to actually kill it and re launch it in these cases because even if i got back the network connection it wouldnt resume. This isnt the best time for debugging. I just want stuff to work without much fiddling when i open the lid of my laptop because i do it when i have work to do and email is part of it.
> >

> Hello Kertesz,
>
> I fell your issue as I am facing exactly the same. Definitely killing the CM is not a good practice and
> it does have its side effect; but there is no other alternative !!!
>
> As a long time CM users; I don't think CM has been designed for a box with 8 GB or so RAM and
> quad-core processor. I have 3 GB RAM with i5 CPU and it should be enough for a mail client. I mean
> there is no other mail client which have such problem with standard H/W. Even I could run thunderbird
> with all my account as configured in CM at a lower end PC without any hitch.

The issue is not linked to processing power per se, it is about the inherent structure of CM - ie in this case the scanning process "taking over" the UI and certain things are locked until it finishes (if). Other mail clients can do this gracefully (meaning they dont hang if the process is interrupted) and fully in background, they dont lock features while doing so.
The program runs well on any hardware, i use it just because its swiftness and low memory usage. It works quite well on my desktop where it has a stable connection if i dont start clicking left and right when it scans for mail.
And from what i have read here this issue is happening with imap accounts with lots of folders. POP accounts and newsgroup accounts are not that affected because the folder you open are locally stored and even if they are refreshed, it is done instantly, whereas in the case of imap folders if it scans for mail/ as soon as you open it CM does a refresh and that takes a while because this uses the network connection.

> Surely CM is too good in searching, fastness etc.... but the discussed problem keep it behind
> the other mail client. As a CM user sine long, I expect we will get the fixed in future release.
>
> Thanks

O zi buna,

Kertesz Laszlo