[Users] Only issue prevent claws-mail to be accepted in corporate

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Tue Mar 27 23:51:46 CEST 2012

On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 14:36:04 -0700
John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 13:43:05 +0300
> Kertesz Laszlo <laszlo.kertesz at gmail.com> dijo:
>
> >No this does not goes away. The OP was talking about the fact that
> >Claws Mail UI has certain options greyed out while getting mail
> >(scanning folders) AND, bigger nuisance, prevents the user from
> >accessing mails until the scanning (and fetching of messages) is
> >completed.
>
> This was never a nuisance for years when I used Claws Mail only with
> POP accounts. Lately I added an IMAP connection to a Google mail
> account where there are a lot of folder, and it does take a long time.
>
> It's not enough of a bother for me, but I can see where it would be a
> major issue in a large company. I wonder if a workaround might be to
> have a corporate server on the local network access the Google
> servers, and then the desktop machines can access their mail from the
> corporate server. This would make the speed much faster, perhaps only
> a few seconds. The only machine that would be tied up during access
> would be the corporate server.

Hi John,

I'm using my own Dovecot IMAP server on the same physical box (no VM's)
as my Claws-Mail, and it's still a good 10-30 seconds to scan the tree,
depending on how much mail has come in since my last scan. Oh, and I'm
not using Claws' filtering, but instead am filtering as procmail before
the stuff comes into my local Dovecot server, so I'd assume with Claws
filtering it would delay Claws-Mail even more.

I have about 100 folders in my Dovecot IMAP setup. I'm using Claws-Mail
3.7.8 on 64 bit Ubuntu Linux 11.04 with 4GB of RAM and Intel(R)
Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7200  @ 2.53GHz with a couple of 7200 RPM disks
using Ext4.

Thanks

SteveT