[Users] Opening link in Firefox

Kevin Nathan knathan at project54.com
Thu Mar 22 15:09:39 CET 2012

On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 22:47:17 +0100
Michael <codejodler at gmx.ch> wrote:

>Kevin,
>
>> My setting in External Programs is:
>>
>>    firefox -remote 'openURL(%s,new-window)'
>
>That's an interesting option. However, i couldn't get that option to
>work in Debian iceweasel 10 and it is not documented in the manpage
>either. Maybe it was not compiled in, or even dropped completely in
>that version ?

I think the -remote is the default because they only list -no-remote.

>According to http://www-archive.mozilla.org/unix/remote.html  there is
>also openURL(URL,new-tab) and one could investigate if that makes a
>difference.

I did that in mine (I thought I mentioned it) and they both (new-tab or
new-window) raise the FF window and go to the tab. Changing it to
firefox -new-window '%s' and firefox -new-tab '%s' both work as before
(raise FF window and switch to tab).

>However, i would think the both are just the same as the
>plain -new-tab and -new-window option. Would you be able to clarify if
>just doing a firefox -new-window instead (in claws) would achieve the
>same result for you ?

(See above comment) I remember have to use the openURL call a *long*
time ago when the quotes didn't cut it, and I just never changed
it. :-)

>So if it basically works for you, then chances are the original
>problem was caused by insufficient compatibility between ff and the
>window manager. It would be interesting to know which window manager
>your openSUSE uses, i.e., it's upstream name.

I use WindowMaker (http://windowmaker.org/). I haven't tried it in a
different manager in a while, although I used to use icewm and KDE with
these same settings and no problems.

--
Kevin Nathan (Arizona, USA)
http://www.project54.com

Open standards. Open source. Open minds.
The command line is the front line.
Linux 2.6.37.6-0.11-desktop
 06:56am  up 36 days 16:14,  14 users,  load average: 0.06, 0.13, 0.29