[Users] Migrating Google Mail to Claws Mail

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sat Mar 17 00:43:47 CET 2012

On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 09:39:42 +0000
Brad Rogers <brad at fineby.me.uk> dijo:

>On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 00:35:24 -0700
>John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>Hello John,
>
>> address, and imap.googlemail.com and smtp.googlemail.com as the
>> receive
>
>Google say use *.gmail.com, not *.googlemail.com.
>
>I see in another post you've got posting working, but not receiving.
>Google's site says this about IMAP set up;
>
>imap.gmail.com
>Use SSL: Yes
>Port: 993
>
>Also, username is full gmail address, not just the user part.

Thanks for the suggestions. Also thanks to Owen.

I set send to smtp.gmail.com and receive to imap.gmail.com. Sending
works, but I receive nothing; that is, I think I am getting nothing.
(See below.)

I have set the port to 993 and have set SSL to each of the three
alternatives, but still get no response on receiving.

This morning I found two messages in the folder that I set up for the
university account. One is a test message that I sent to myself late
last night. The other is a bounce from this list because I
inadvertently sent a message to the list from my university account,
which is not registered. However, these two messages remain on the web
interface, plus two more unread messages, and a little over 100 read
messages in the inbox that I have not deleted or moved to folders yet.

Why did those two messages appear in the Claws Mail inbox that I
created for the university account, but not the others? Why does
nothing happen when I select the university account (in the lower right
corner of the Claws Mail window) and click on Get? If I do this for my
other (POP3) accounts I get a popup window that displays the progress
and how many messages it is retrieving. For the university account I
get no popup window and nothing in the log.

I'm beginning to think the problem is not in the university account
settings in Claws Mail, but rather it is in the settings that I made in
Gmail. Here is the page where I tried to set up the university account
for imap:

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?shva=1#settings/fwdandpop

(Hope that loads.) All I did on that page was click to enable imap and
another click to disable pop.