[Users] Default CC for mailing lists

Sitaram Chamarty sitaramc at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 14:20:45 CEST 2012

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 4:19 PM, Ricardo Mones <ricardo at mones.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 10:40:54AM +0200, Marco wrote:
>> Hi Michael and Guus,
>>
>> thanks to both of you for your opinions. I thought it was common
>> practice to sent a CC, since I often receive those.
>
>   It's common on open mailing lists, where mailing the list is allowed
> without being subscribed. But then the poster should ask for Cc, because
> there's no way to know that fact for the common list reader.

The git ML is one such list (as is the lkml, I think).  I'm
subscribed, and I don't remember ever seeing a duplicate message on
mails where I'm in the to/cc so the ML software must be eliminating
duplicates before it does its thing.

Either that or gmail is doing it on the receive side based on
message-id.  This is less likely.