[Users] claws mail, irfanview, default windows mail client

Leon Fisk lfisk at iserv.net
Thu Jul 19 22:19:57 CEST 2012

On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 22:18:57 -0400
David Relson <relson at osagesoftware.com> wrote:

>G'day,
>
>I've been using claws-mail on Linux for many years.  Consequently I
>put it on my wife's Windows 7 machine a couple of years back.
>
>She now has some large pictures she wants to email.  My son likes
>irfanview because it allows changing an images resolution (to shrink
>the size) before mailing it.  We've selected claws' "set as default
>mailer" optio, but irfanview insists on using Outlook.
>
>Anybody know how to correct this problem?

I've used Irfanview for some years now. Does a nice job and the
interface isn't all that complicated. When I moved on from Windows to
Linux I kept on using it via Wine. Linux doesn't have anything quite
like it (I've looked at/for just about everything remotely similar)...

I've always saved my altered images to some other place. Either a
different directory (like /FilesToEmail) or a different name. Then I
compose an email, attach the newly created file/image (you should be
able to just drag it over to the Compose window->Attachments tab) and
send it.

Irfanview has a nice "Save for Web... (Plugin)" under the "File" drop
down menu good for tweaking image sizes. Works good for email stuff too.

In all the years I've been using email I have never felt the urge to try
emailing something from inside an app like Irfanview. To me that is
just begging for something to be sent in an odd, maybe incorrect
manner (shrug).

--
Leon
Claws 3.8.0, Ubuntu Karmic 9.10