[Users] Privacy issue (was Webmail support in Claws Mail )

alb348 at gmail.com alb348 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 23:15:04 CET 2012

>>  You're saying over and over that it is a privacy violation by the SMTP
>>  protocol? Can you state any source, that the SMTP protocol forces the
>>  MTA to put the Sender's IP into the sent email?

>  I did read it somewhere. Give me some time. I will try to find it.

I did my research. The sender's IP address *is* required by the SMTP
protocol. The relevant header, which can't be omitted, is "Received:".
Even if the email is routed through various servers, all the steps must
be documented, so all the IP addresses through which the email passes
will be cumulatively recorded in the email's headers, including the
originator's IP, of course.

See https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2821.txt (section 3.8.2).

Failing to comply with this requirement (if you are a server) will
probably cause your email to fail and to be rejected accepted by other
servers.

So, coming back to the main issue, this strict requirement (which was
probably stipulated to combat spam) does have the undeniable side-effect
of undermining a person's privacy. I see no two ways of looking at it.
Please, correct me if I am wrong.