[Users] Privacy issue (was Webmail support in Claws Mail )

Pierre Fortin pf at pfortin.com
Mon Jan 30 23:10:22 CET 2012

On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 22:15:02 +0100 alb348 at gmail.com wrote:

>Ideally, I want to use Claws Mail for my emails, not webmail. I don't
>want to be using a browser, at all.

Here's are some solutions I've been using for years...  they keep your IP
address at the same location at all times.  No matter where you are -- it
appears you are always at your expected location (wherever that is).

You can use this solution at the same location (same box or connected
over ssh) or remotely via ssh...

Option 1: Linux hosting CM
- with Linux client:
   - ssh to host (locally or remotely) with X-forwarding
   - start CM on host and the CM display appears on Linux client while CM
     itself is running on Linux host
- with Windows client:
   - putty to host (Connection->SSH->X11[Enable X11 forwarding])
   - start CM on host and the CM display appears on Windows client while
     CM itself is running on Linux host

Option 2: Windows hosting CM
- use RealVNC, UltraVNC, TeamViewer, GotoMyPC, etc. and share the screen.

It's that easy and only your well-known IP ever appears in your mails.

Pierre