[Users] Further crash in cvs44

Brian Morrison bdm at fenrir.org.uk
Tue Dec 11 14:51:35 CET 2012

On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 14:36:36 +0100
Colin Leroy wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 13:15:13 +0000, Brian Morrison <bdm at fenrir.org.uk>
> wrote:
>
> > I should have added, "...if not restarted" to the "Claws often
> > crashes" sentence above. Could it be some sort of paging problem
> > where Claws code is discarded by the kernel memory manager because
> > it thinks it can re-read it from disk from the binary or .so files
> > but it reads in the new version where the code entry points are in
> > the wrong place?
>
> That would be a rather huge kernel bug... I hope that's not that.

Maybe. Fedora has very current kernels (I'm currently running 3.6.9, and
Greg K-H released 3.6.10 overnight so I shall expect another update
soon) and Linus and co are busy messing about with the VM code, they've
just reverted a big change that wasn't ready for prime time in 3.7, so
it's not impossible that this is related to recent kernels.

I'll keep you informed.

--

Brian Morrison