[Users] Further crash in cvs44

Brian Morrison bdm at fenrir.org.uk
Tue Dec 11 14:15:13 CET 2012

On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 14:01:01 +0100
Colin Leroy wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 12:00:02 +0000, Brian Morrison <bdm at fenrir.org.uk>
> wrote:
>
> > One thing I have noticed. If I rebuild the Claws packages and
> > freshen the installed rpms, Claws often crashes. It never used to
> > do that before the last half dozen cvs versions. Relevant? I'm not
> > sure.
>
> Are you talking about cvs-based packages ? Or release ?

I mean cvs-based, built locally by me using slightly tweaked spec
files based on the Fedora released version.

I should have added, "...if not restarted" to the "Claws often crashes"
sentence above. Could it be some sort of paging problem where Claws
code is discarded by the kernel memory manager because it thinks it can
re-read it from disk from the binary or .so files but it reads in the
new version where the code entry points are in the wrong place?

> > Will post logs when I get something helpful. Since your change in
> > cvs44, Claws does run for longer without crashing, it might be the
> > freshened rpms caused the crash rather than the nntp date related
> > thing.
>
> That would be surprising, though...

With the above clarification?

--