[Users] Question regarding forward of HTML e-mails

Michael Gmelin freebsd at grem.de
Fri Aug 10 01:05:22 CEST 2012

On Thu, 9 Aug 2012 14:51:13 +0200
Colin Leroy <colin at colino.net> wrote:

> On 08 August 2012 at 23h09, Michael Gmelin wrote:
> Hi, 
> > So my question is: Since modifying HTML content is outside of claws'
> > scope, is there an option to remove HTML alternatives on forward
> > automatically (or turn the HTML alternative into an attachment).
> It is turned into an attachment, since that commit:
> 2010-12-23 [colin]      3.7.8cvs23
>         * src/compose.c
>                 Finish fixing bug #2203: When forwarding (inline) and
>           	there are some text/* parts with no name, set them a
>           	name and set their disposition to attachment, so
> that recipients with MUAs preferring HTML parts don't show
>           	them by default.
> Strange that your recipient looked at the HTML part by default since
> it seems you're using 3.8.1.

I'm using 3.8.1, that's correct. Right now I have no chance to check
myself how the E-Mail got represented in the specific Outlook instance
of that person.

If I enable "Message View -> Text options -> Select the HTML part of
multipart/alternative messages" in Claws and select the forwarded
E-Mail in my Sent folder, the HTML part is opened at first too (so same
behavior as I suspect happening in Outlook - the iPhone for
instance selects the plain text alternative by default).

The original mail looks like this:

References: <609863e5.00001258.00000150 at bm-lptp>
In-Reply-To: <609863e5.00001258.00000150 at bm-lptp>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook 14.0
Content-Type: text/plain;
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit


Content-Type: text/html;
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

HTML Content


The forwarded message looks like this:

X-Mailer: Claws Mail 3.8.1 (GTK+ 2.24.6; amd64-portbld-freebsd9.0)
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="MP_/+FaUTOv1rN5Uz2RHkFtTw/U"
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Disposition: inline

My comments + text

Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

The original HTML


I checked the C source, and the patch from 3.7.8cvs23 is still in there
(charsets differ in the parts on reply, since I send everything UTF-8).

I am able to reproduce this issue reliably - when composing the
forwarded message, the html part shows up in the attachments tab, but
without a name set (I would expect it to show "Original %s part").

I hope that's enough input to analyze the issue - I would like to avoid
reading up on the source code myself.

Michael Gmelin

More information about the Users mailing list