[Users] The reply mark in subject (R: Re:) recognition

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Wed Aug 8 14:06:38 CEST 2012

On Wed, 8 Aug 2012 09:42:35 +0200
Colin Leroy articulated:

> On 08 August 2012 at 06h18, Paul wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> > > Refresh my memory; which RFC deals specifically with this?
> >
> > 2822.
>
> Specifically, 3.6.5. Informational fields

The problem here is clearly the use of the word "MAY"⁽¹⁾.

RFC2822 - 3.6.5
<quote>
When used in a reply, the field body MAY start with the string "Re: "
</quote>

RFC2119
<quote>
5. MAY   This word, or the adjective "OPTIONAL", mean that an item is
   truly optional.  One vendor may choose to include the item because a
   particular marketplace requires it or because the vendor feels that
   it enhances the product while another vendor may omit the same item.
   An implementation which does not include a particular option MUST be
   prepared to interoperate with another implementation which does
   include the option, though perhaps with reduced functionality. In the
   same vein an implementation which does include a particular option
   MUST be prepared to interoperate with another implementation which
   does not include the option (except, of course, for the feature the
   option provides.)
</quote>

⁽¹⁾ http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2119.html

--