[Users] Linux Mint 12

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sat Apr 7 22:34:23 CEST 2012

On Sat, 7 Apr 2012 16:07:33 -0400
john Culleton <John at wexfordpress.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Apr 2012 08:50:20 -0700
> sylpheed at 911networks.com wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > As an "almost long time" user since the Sylpheed-Claws days, I'm
> > thinking of upgrading an older backup laptop from Centos 4 (not
> > supported anymore) to Linux Mint 12.
> >
> > Any experience with it? Interaction with CM?
> >
> > Sidenote: What about VMware 8?
> >
> Consider Salix, a Slackware variant, that comes in KDE and XFCE
> versions. It also has a slapt-get which loads programs from a
> repository.

I've had a good time with Ubuntu. If you dislike Unity, as many do,
just use LXDE as your window manager. Simply install LXDE with the
get-software thingy that comes with Unity, then log out, put your
username in the blank, click on the gear, choose LXDE, put in your
password, and log in. Bang, you've got a good-looking, lightweight fully
hierarchical menu type desktop.

Or, a lot of people are going XFCE, and the way you do that is just
about the same as LXDE.

Friends don't let friends use KDE :-)

By the way everyone, once I got rid of Kmail, the following month I
removed all of KDE off my machine. It's more stable now. Thanks for
giving me an escape route from Kmail!

SteveT