[Users] Firefox 8.0

Cia Watson ciamarie at my180.net
Tue Dec 6 16:51:02 CET 2011

On Tue, 6 Dec 2011 00:23:32 -0800
John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Dec 2011 16:50:19 +1100
> "Owen" <rcook at pcug.org.au> dijo:
> >
> >> The recent upgrade to Fedora 16, x86_64, came with Firefox 8.0.
> >> Clicking on an e-mail address in Firefox now wants to open Evolution.
> >> can't find the secret for how to tell it to open a Compose window in
> >> Claws Mail 3.7.10. Does anyone know?

> That page suggested that Firefox would display the default mail client
> that was specified in Preferred Applications, but it does not. I have
> long had Claws Mail in the Preferred Applications. I just checked and
> it is still there. But the Edit > Preferences > Applications > mailto
> option still shows just Evolution (default).
>
> I can select "Use other" which gives me a browser window to find Claws
> Mail. At first I selected one of the two .desktop files (one
> in /usr/share and one in ~/local/share/applications), but neither would
> take.

I just checked mine, in Debian using Iceweasel (FF) v8 also, and it just
shows 'use claws-mail'. There is an option to also select gmail or yahoo mail
if I select 'use other'. At any rate, I would suspect that your claws-mail
should be under /usr/bin and not /usr/share ? Or perhaps just enter
claws-mail. To test it, you could open a terminal and type for instance
claws-mail at the prompt and see if it comes up. If it does it should work to
just enter that, or go to /usr/bin/ at the selection window to see if claws
is there. It should be... ? Then you may need to close FF and re-open for the
change to take effect.

Cia W.