[Translators] Explanation of sentences in Claws

Thomas Bellmann ThomasBellmann at gmx.net
Sun Dec 8 10:36:25 CET 2013

Am Sat, 7 Dec 2013 18:53:08 +0100
schrieb Marcel Pol <marcel at timelord.nl>:

> Op Sat, 7 Dec 2013 17:37:54 +0100
> schreef Alexander Olsen <alexander at linux.com>:
>
> > Im looking for some help on some sentences in the po file.
> >
> > line 11426: Passive toaster popup
> > Can someone explain this line, or give me some context, especially
> > the toaster part.
>
> I simple translated it as "Passive popup".

I did so for German, too.

> I'd like to hear an explanation as well :)

As usual Google and WP are your friends:
https://www.google.com/search?q=passive+toaster+popup+-claws+mail
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pop-up_notification

Or have a look at the plain po-file where it sais:
| #. TRANSLATORS: "Toaster" does not refer to the kitchen appliance.
| #. A toast is a small passive (non-focus-stealing)
| #. notification bubble. If your language does not have a word
| #. for that, go for something along the lines of "passive popup"
| #. instead.See also
| #. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toast_(computing)
| #: src/plugins/notification/notification_prefs.c:1570
| msgid "Passive toaster popup"
| msgstr "Passives Popup"

If you use poedit or something alike you should enable the comments for
translators.

As more general help: As I had to translate a lot of the Claws Mail
stuff I compiled the program from source with the incomplete
translation. Then the context of the string in question can give hints
where to find it.
In this case it is
#: src/plugins/notification/notification_prefs.c:1570

So if you want to find out more you can have a look at the source file
in the path mentioned.
For me it was more helpful to look at the GUI where the string would
show up. Here it would be the preferences (prefs) of the Notification
Plugin. (But yes, the "toaster" would still be a hard nut to crack. :) )

> > line 1322: Cannot stat P12 certificate file (%s)\n
> > What is the meaning of "stat" in this sentence?
>
> To stat means to load or find a file.

(Here I translated stat with "find")

I also found the translation projects at Debian (at least for me
translating German) helpful. There is a list for how tech speech should
be translated. Not sure if there are similar lists for other languages:
http://www.debian.org/international/
https://wiki.debian.org/Wortliste

hth
Thomas