[Translators] Support for msgctxt

H hm at hm.net.br
Tue Nov 13 13:41:12 CET 2012

On 13/11/2012 08:57, Paul wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 08:37:08 -0200
> H <hm at hm.net.br> wrote:
>
>> looking at the big picture ...
>
> OK.
>
>> why would you change something without having any reasonable
>> advantage?
>
> There is a reasonable advantage. Like Andrej pointed out in the first
> place:

well, technical issues are always discussable, but that of course is not
my point here

most people think about localization in the way of having the interface
translated to some local language

what then in first place makes it a developer choice (the method)

even if that is true in most cases, other cases are more and more emerging

multi-language corporate environments are becoming very usual

in larger countries, as mine which is Brazil, even in little Spain it
happens, there are several local slangs in the same country

in such cases pot files turn out to be extremely annoying because of
missing flexibility

php pot to php gettext evolution is a good example of easy on-the-fly
localization/customization. The local end user or group do not need a
developer, editing a text file and ready to go.

when I said the bigger picture I meant it as seeing from user
perspective and may be you consider this opinion

hans

+55 11 4249.2222