[Users] compose message - double hight To/Cc/Bcc

Dustin Miller dustbiz at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 07:23:12 UTC 2024

On Tue, 16 Apr 2024 08:30:33 +0200
Marco Moock <mm at dorfdsl.de> wrote:

> Am 16.04.2024 um 01:14:33 Uhr schrieb Frank Dietrich:
>
> > The used icon theme (checked in the Gnome Tweaks app) was set to
> > "Adwaita (default)". And you are right, this uses as icon for the
> > clear button an image with a dimension of 48 x 48
> > (/usr/share/icons/Adwaita/48x48/legacy/edit-clear.png).
> >
> > Changing the icon theme to Gnome, solved the issue. Now the image
> > /usr/share/icons/gnome/16x16/actions/edit-clear.png is used for the
> > clear button.
>
> Isn't it crappy that the desktop environment has different icon sizes
> that breaks certain applications?
> Is that really intended by GTK?

DM: I must admit I'm pretty hazy in my understanding of GTK as well as
coding, so not sure what all is involved. I've heard some say that GTK
is 'a mess'. Others might say that the problem is a lack of
standardization (which is perhaps more prevalent in an open-source
universe). Others might say it's 'sloppy' coding by one or more
software engineers related to the various parts that need to work
together (maybe especially themes? and/or desktop environments?). From
what I've heard from the Claws developers, migrating a piece of
software from GTK2 to GTK3 is a huge task, and presumably that will
also be the case if/when there's a GTK3 --> GTK4 migration. (So there
may still be some quirks here and there that need to get ironed out.)
Paul's idea about having Claws control the icons might be the best
solution (at least for Claws), but I'm not sure how much work that
would be. But yes, it can be a bit frustrating trying to get everything
to work. I've long ago given up the notion of trying for some sort of
aesthetic perfection that pleases me the most -- now I'm just like
'Okay, what do I need to do to get a system that works (i.e. does what
I need it to do), even if it might look a little odd or 'ugly'.' 🙂️
Cheers, ---Dustin