[Users] How to collect a useful backtrace on Windows?

Jeremy Nicoll jn.ml.clwm.729 at letterboxes.org
Sun Sep 17 13:15:35 CEST 2017

Text at http://www.claws-mail.org/faq/index.php/Debugging_Claws

suggests that for Windows users, one can use WinDbg.  There's a link to
a page at

  https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/How_to_get_a_backtrace_with_WinDbg

describing how to install WinDbg.  But after the install one has to tell
WinDbg where
'symbols' for (I presume) both Windows and Claws can be found.  The page
only says
how to do this for Libre Office.

So, are there 'symbols' available for each released version of Claws for
Windows?

If one doesn't have these symbols is info from WinDbg any use to the
Claws developers?

Also, I guess WinDbg is most useful when one starts Claws under it, and
expects Claws
to dump as one recreates a problem.    But is having WinDbg installed
any use in the
instance when Claws dumps unexpectedly?

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own.