[Users] Debugging the Python plugin on Ubuntu

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Sun Nov 13 00:54:18 CET 2016

I'm trying to debug a problem with the Python plugin on Ubuntu 17.04 (Zesty
Zerus).  I recently sync'd the version in Ubuntu with the version in Debian
unstable, i.e. 3.14.1-1.  When I start `claws-mail --debug` I see this in the
console:

plugin.c:452:trying to load `/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/claws-mail/plugins/python.so'
plugin.c:370:plugin licence check passed: GPL3+ found
hooks.c:70:registered new hook for 'compose_created' as id 1
hooks.c:89:unregistered hook 1 in 'compose_created'

** (claws-mail:18610): WARNING **: plugin loading error: (null)

and I get the dialog saying that CM couldn't load the Python plugin.  In the
Plugins dialog, I see 'Python' in italics, and trying to explicitly load the
.so also fails.

ldd on the .so doesn't show any missing libraries, and I don't know how to get
any more debugging information out of CM or the plugin.  I haven't been able
to verify whether or not the same problem happens on Debian unstable.

A few other data points: 3.14.0-1ubuntu1 on Ubuntu 16.10 works just fine.  The
same version on 17.04 (before I resync'd) also could not load the Python
plugin.  These make me think it's a library skew of some sort.  We thought it
might be boost, but afaict, python.so doesn't link against libboost.

I'm rather at a loss, but before I start gdb'ing my way around the code, I
thought I'd reach out to see if anybody has noticed any similar problems with
3.14.1.  Happy to file a bug with Bugzilla if that would help.

Cheers,
-Barry