[Users] Setting automatically a BBC copy for every outgoing message

alb348 at gmail.com alb348 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 2 15:39:16 CET 2014

On 2014-02-02 10:28, Paul wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Feb 2014 02:09:44 +0100
> Alby <alb348 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> "Be careful! This sender failed our fraud detection checks."
>>
>> Obviously, this is not acceptable!!
>> Too bad. Back to square one, looking for an alternative solution...
>
> Obviously you have legitimate reasons, (there are many), for doing
> what you do, so their "protecting us from ourselves" approach is
> pointless.

I do have legitimate reasons: simply the fact that I don't like other
people being told where I am. Nothing to do with spam. The standard
procedure of (nearly) all SMTP servers seriously compromises your
privacy. Nobody seems to realize this! Or to care. There is a lot of
talk about Google and others reading your data, extracting useful
information, making statistics, selling them, etc. This is all true,
probably, but it is nothing compared to the fact that when you send an
email via SMTP, there is a 'tag' attached which tells the recipient "the
sender is currently in this location". I see this as much more
disturbing than having my whole emails read by a computer algorithm and
by people who are totally unrelated to me and who are probably
uninterested in me as a person, whereas the recipients of my emails may
have all the reasons to be interested in me particularly.
But this is a discussion that already took place on this list. For
anyone interested, see:
http://lists.claws-mail.org/pipermail/users/2012-January/001264.html
and
http://lists.claws-mail.org/pipermail/users/2012-January/001268.html
BTW, I am no longer interested in the webmail-powered solution for CM. I
have linked to these posts only because they contain the explaination of
the privacy threat.