[Users] Privacy issue (was Webmail support in Claws Mail )

alb348 at gmail.com alb348 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 18:56:58 CET 2012

On 2012-01-30 15:54, Holger Berndt wrote:
> I don't think it's correct to sell that as privacy feature anyways. It
> may be that the effect you describe is currently observable, but it's
> mostly a coincidental side effect that might go away any minute. Holger

Holger, I think that you will have to agree that, if something does
enhance privacy, then by definition it *is* a privacy feature,
regardless of whether the element posing the privacy threat (in our
case: the IP address given out) is coincidental or not. As things stand
now, there is not only a clear and present danger, but a *certainty*
that each and every email we send out via SMTP contains our geographical
location.
What I will grant you is that the breach of privacy was in no way caused
by Claws Mail (which I never implied), being something inherent in the
SMTP protocol.
If CM (through a plugin) were to provide the easy links that I
suggested, this would facilitate the webmail-based workaround to the
privacy problem, and I don't see why this should not be counted as a
pro-privacy service rendered by CM. And one that would be appreciated by
many security-conscious people, I am sure.
In the end, it boils down to: if we do implement the proposed feature in
CM, the effect of this pro-privacy improvement may or may not last
(because the protocols and the standards may change at any time). If, on
the other hand, we simply let things stand as they are, without doing
anything, there is the certainty that the origin of each and every email
sent through CM can be geographically pinpointed by the recipient
(again, through no fault on CM's part).

I conclude by outlining a very realistic scenario in which the problem
posed by this privacy threat is highlighted. It is just an example, but
a very real one.
If your employer wants to check on you, and has enough financial and
technological resources to do so, he can use the services of IT experts
who will be able to track you down even when you are on holiday. All
they have to do is to prompt you to send an email, and this can be
easily done by sending you an urgent work-related request on some
matter, requiring you to reply via email; or impersonating someone on a
mailing list (even if unrelated to your job) that you subscribe to; any
trick will do, to get you to send an email.
Now, whether it is you employer or any other people or organizations
with adequate means, they can easily do link analysis of your emails,
and possibly match your data with the data from other people's emails.
Keep in mind that what I am talking about is not super tech CIA stuff
from a spy novel, because all this can be accomplished by anyone who
receives an email from you, simply by analyzing its headers. It's quite
trivial too.
As a practical example, say that you belong to a political party or to a
group, but you don't want your employer to know about it. During the
weekend, you attend a meeting of the members of that organization, in
another city. If you send out even a single email from that location,
your secret affiliation is as good as compromised, because your unusual
IP address may raise a red flag in the security system of your employer,
which unbeknown to you routinely analyzes the headers of all your
emails, looking for anomalies; once their curiosity has been triggered,
their the next step will be to find out why you were there; simply on
holiday or something more? Don't fool yourself. Over time, your presence
will easily be linked to the events that you are attending, especially
when other known people coincidentally happen to be in the same place at
the same time. A pattern will gradually emerge, and aquire a certain
meaning. This year the conference was in San Francisco, last year it was
in Chicago, and two years ago it was in Toronto. And you were exactly at
those locations over those weekends. A mere coincidence?
Naturally, all this may well have serious repercussions on your career
and on your life.

So, please, do not discount the implications of a seemingly innocuous
privacy breach such as the disclosure of your IP address.