[Users] Idea - Could we "delay" signature checking on an email ?

Ricardo Mones ricardo at mones.org
Wed Jul 24 08:54:47 CEST 2013

  Hi Paul,

On Tue, 23 Jul 2013 12:06:28 +0200
Paul Rolland (ポール・ロラン) <rol at witbe.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Tue, 23 Jul 2013 10:24:42 +0100
> Paul <claws at thewildbeast.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 23 Jul 2013 11:10:20 +0200
> > Paul Rolland (ポール・ロラン) <rol at witbe.net> wrote:
> >
> > > So, the question is : could we delay that check, and start it only
> > > if the selection stays on a signed email for "some time" ?
> >
> > Why not just uncheck 'Automatically check signatures' and check on
> > demand (using the hotkey)?
>
> Always trying to get the best of the two worlds ;)

  Indeed the idea is nice...

> Anyway, that's what I used to be sure the problem was with Sig checking,
> and it's the configuration I'm using now... but it's sad to have to
> deactivate this.
>
> If delaying the check is not something easy within Claws architecture,

  Launching a thread for this shouldn't be difficult, but IMO it would only
  be a speedup for the keys not in the local keyring, so you'd have to
  provide a way to know that before checking to decide to create a thread or
  just do it like now. This method can rely on gpg, but then it _may_ be as
  expensive as doing the proper check, hence you'd be slowing key checking
  of cached keys a lot. If you don't rely on gpg you'd have to implement some
  table of known keys, going into the nice problem of keeping the CM table
  in sync with gpg one, as gpg can be used by more applications than CM.
  Don't forget to make these threads cancellable, or, at least, able to
  discard their results, because when browsing summary view quickly the
  message view which launched the thread may not exist anymore...

  So, yes, best of two worlds is possible, but you have to depart from
  simplicity planet first ;-) Anyway, if your itch is big enough I'd love to
  test your patch, responsiveness would be much better for sure.

> maybe it'd be possible to cache that information ?

  IIRC gpg already does this in the public keyring, you probably need to
  launch a gpg --refresh-keys periodically to keep them up to date and go to
  the network only for the new ones.
--
  Ricardo Mones
  ~