[Users] how do I change the mailbox location?

Little Girl littlergirl at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 20:33:46 CET 2012

Hey there,

Paul wrote:
> Little Girl wrote:
>
> > I think the original poster means that, for example, the #mh is
> > set to /home/username and wants to know how to change it
> > to /home/username/mail.
> >
> > I would be interested to know how this would be done as well - not
> > because I need to do it (mine is set to /home/username/Mail and I
> > think that got determined during my initial set-up a long, long
> > time ago), but because I can't figure out how I would do it if I
> > wanted to. (:
>
> I didn't understand that 'tidy up' meant 'move the mailbox to a
> different location'.

He might not have. (:

> Supposing your mailbox at ~/Mail and you want it in
> ~/NewLocation/Mail :
>
> On the command line:
>
> cp -R ~/Mail/ ~/NewLocation/
>
> In Claws Mail:
>
> /File/Add Mailbox/MH..
> 	in the dialogue write:
> 		NewLocation/Mail
> 	Click OK
>
> That's it.

Thanks! Also added to my collection of how to do things.

> Following this you will probably want to remove the old mailbox:
> In Claws Mail
> 	Right-click the top-level folder, (e.g. 'Mailbox (MH)') and
> 	choose 'Remove mailbox.
>
> This won't destroy the files and directories on the filesystem, so
> maybe you also want to remove them there too.

That's good to know. I didn't realize that you could do that. (:

> FYI, the Add mailbox' dialogue takes a path relative to your home
> directory, or a full path.

Yes, thanks - I hadn't realized that until I started looking through
the files and noticing that the /home/username part of the path is
left off, but that makes perfect sense!

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.