[Users] Question about SMTP servers?

Rich Pieri richard.pieri at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 03:47:35 CET 2012

On Tue, 18 Dec 2012 15:40:50 +0100
Bjørn T Johansen <btj at havleik.no> wrote:

> uses authentication.. So my question is, can I configurate this
> somehow in CM? I.e. using no authentication when I am on my LAN and
> using authentication when I am not?

There's going to be manual switching between SMTP servers if you need
to switch between SMTP servers. If you store your mail on your ISP's
servers then there's little point to it. Just use the ISP for
everything all the time.

I avoid the problem entirely by using SSH tunnels into my home network
and setting the host and ports to localhost:### as appropriate. This
way I am bridged to my private network for all mail handling regardless
of my physical location. I do it this way because I have a private IMAP
server that I control (security, backups, etc.) for storing all of my
mail.

--
Rich P.